Traditional Spanish, Contemporary and Flamenco professionals in both Australia and Spain.
Recent and upcoming theatrical works ready for touring and presentation are:
Nominated for “Outstanding Achievement in Choreography “” by the Australian Dance Awards, 2019.
Hernandez Tamayo Spanish Dance Theatre presents a collaboration between Aitor Hernandez (Ballet Nacional of Spain) and Marina Tamayo (Sydney)
Darlinghurst Theatre Company proudly presents this Sydney Premiere.
Flamenco dance as you have never before seen in Australia. Passionate and powerful – EMERALD is an intrinsic fight for survival.
Emerald Interweaves traditional and contemporary Flamenco dance and draws attention to our ever-changing skins throughout our lives.
A dark tale, taking you into the shadows of your intrinsic fight for survival.
“To know there, you have to go there”
Featuring outstanding and leading Flamenco artists including dancer Aitor Hernandez Sanzano (Ballet Nacional of Spain), and Granada trained Flamenco artist Marina Tamayo.
With stunning live music by Colombian born guitarist Jonathon Abatte Ramirez and the divine harp tones of Sydney´s Taras Jones.
EMERALD must be seen to be believed!
Watch the electrifying trailer HERE
Lesley writes for The Mercury and Dance Australia, and she has just completed a term of four years on the Ausdance Australian Dance Awards panel.
This is a traditional presentation of Folk and Flamenco dance and music. This evening will take audiences to the authentic roots of Spanish Dance ignited with the passion and fire of Flamenco. These world-class performers come from prestigious companies of Spain and will raise the roof off the Moonah Arts Theatre with their stage presence and mastery of their craft.
folKmenco is a new presentation by the newly formed Dance Company Hernandez Tamayo Spanish Dance Theatre. The work promotes the artist’s cultural heritage with traditional folk songs and flamenco dance of Spain. It is set in a town square and based on tales friends tell on a Sunday afternoon. This is folklore at it’s best; story telling.
A night of Spanish authenticity, world music, and culture, folKmenco is a feast for the senses. Direct from Spain these artists are world class. Reviews
Hernandez Tamayo Spanish Dance Theatre presents a collaboration between Aitor Hernandez (Ballet Nacional of Spain) Marina Tamayo (Sydney) and Jesus Olmedo (Spain)
featuring Jesus Olmedo and Rut Santamaria Direct from Spain supported by musicians Tony Tonks (London) Peter Kennard (Blue oOuntains, NSW)
“Inertia, what an incredible show, what an unexpected delight. I knew it was going to be an amazing show but the entire production drew me in much more than I anticipated. The set, the costumes and not least the artists and their energy made it one hour I’ll never forget” L.Zheng
“A special show with awesome performances from everyone involved! Loads of energy, great music and an amazing look into Spanish culture….made me want to go back to Spain! Bring the show to Melbourne!” J.Oates.
“Pure MAGIC! The show last night was incredible, Inertia is a unique performance, unlike any I’ve seen before while still exuding that authentic, familiar flamenco rhythm.
Such an amazing line-up of multi-faceted artists, thank you for sharing your talents!” J.Ryan
“INERTIA – an elite show bringing together such high caliber artists, embodying ‘la essencia del flamenco’: passion, expression, precision, flirtation, culture, and comedy. Makes me excited for the future!”A.Thomas
“Inertia- one of the best flamenco shows I’ve ever seen!
Simply incredible!” G. Francia
“Raw, passionate, real….a visually sculptural feast for the senses…”A.Krovograd
“I loved it! Loved it!! Loved it!!! Thank you very much for such a magical and amazing show!!” M.Kiowa
“This beautifully crafted show is full of energy, passion and a little humour that encompasses song, dance and music by highly skilled artisans that was truly brilliant, and a joy to experience”A.Stroud.
“Powerful performances from all. What a pleasure to see the creative talent of Aitor, the exciting dancing of Jesus, and Marina Tamayo who demonstrated that when it comes to expressing the soul of flamenco, age and wisdom triumphs over youth, as she out-danced her highly talented young partners. Eagerly awaiting future performances” N. Wise
“So happy I got to see the show last night. It was amazing, the dance, music & location were fabulous. Such passion is so inspiring! Bravo!” J.B
The Sounds of Spain
Flamenco Australia is proud to present The Sounds of Spain.
This premiered at the Adelaide Fringe Festival and was awarded 4.5 stars by The Advertiser. ” The Sounds of Spain” was sponsored to debut their show in NSW 2015. The Sounds of Spain is a historical journey featuring sensational world champion Irish dancers Anthony Street and Peta Anderson from ‘Riverdance’.
Media reviews were positive with The Advertiser (national newspaper) awarding the show 4.5 stars, and Rip It Up (street press) awarding the show 5 Stars.
“All traditions flamenco are staunchly merged with Celtic displays in this moving, authentic revelation of Hispanic pride. It’s a musical tale of one woman’s journey from Spain’s south to north and is presented by some of the most talented, quickest and most energetic Irish dancers you’ll ever see and likely the most professional modern flamenco dancers to grace us. Performers’ footwork, costumes and music were superseded only by their energy, grace and passion. Final Word: Spectacular”
– Jenny Smith, Rip It Up
RIt Up website – http://www.ripitup.com.au/article/5255
“This flamenco show, featuring Australian and Spanish performers, effortlessly combines song, music and dance to produce a multi-dimensional experience. Cabaret ****1/2”
– Lauren Novak, The Advertiser
Adelaide Now – http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/…/story-fnb4rkcm-1226283737535
“The audience interaction with artists was great, they loved it. Their cheering ‘ole, guapa’ was a constant in every song, totally irresistible not to tap with your feet. Don’t miss out this fascinating Flamenco experience…”
– Anderina Adames, Radio Adelaide
Radio Adelaide – http://festivalradio.wordpress.com/…/sounds-of-spain-audio…/
Las Alpujarras Granadinas
FLAMENCO DEL MAR
UNDER THE SUN
OCTOBER 1st Salamanca Arts Centre Hobart – ‘el Mar Adentro’ Contemporary Dance Festival
SEPTEMBER 6TH – 9TH HOBART Salamanca Arts Centre
SEPTEMBER 3RD Optus Centre
AUGUST 26TH Casa Asturianas ‘E; Atico’ Flamenco, Sydney
AUGUST 22ND Las Terrazzas Sydney CBD (every Thursday night from 7.30pm)
AUGUST 15TH Star Casino Sydney CBD
AUGUST 4TH Lizottes Live ‘n Cooking : Clarissa di Salvo, Marina Tamayo, Michael Arrighi and Flamenco del Mar
JUNE 2nd Lizottes Live ‘n Cooking DEE WHY Students Mid year concert & Flamenco del Mar play second set
MAY 18th Spanish Fiesta MIRO Restaurant
APRIL 20th Brisbane, QLD Spanish Club
APRIL 6th Blue Mountains Rosemount Resort
MARCH 23rd ST Ives Spanish Fiesta Corpus Cristi School
MARCH 13th Blue Beat Club Double Bay, NSW “Album Debut Alin & Melike)
FEB 16H, 17TH 2013 ‘Las Alpujarras Granadinas’ HOBART @ Salamanca Arts Centre, Hobart.TAS Hobart Flamenco FestivalVerano’ – Summer sounds of Spain @Lizottes Dee Why, NSW
FEB 24th – 4th 2012 March ‘The Sounds of Spain’ at The Adelaide Fringe Festival 2012 * Receievd 4.5 stars from ‘The Advertiser’ ‘Fablulous and must see’ by Rip it up and ‘Brilliant’ by Adelaide today!
- FEB 11th 2012 Gaelic Club – The Sounds of Spain head on down to the Gaelic club to run a one
- DEC 11th 2011 End of year flamenco fiesta with all northern beaches students to take Avalon RSL by flamenco storm with two hours of entertainment! ole Doors Open 4pm – 6pm . Tapas included in Price. Adults $25 Children $10. Children welcome. A family friendly show presenting all the students. Tickets available at Avalon RSL and via This website in the next few weeks. Stay tuned!
- DEC 8th 2011 will bring Flamenco back to the Northern Beaches@Lizottes Dee Why for a passionate night of strumming guitars, percussive rhythm and flamenco. This is an intimate show that will delve into the cultural roots of flamenco – Flamenco del Mar. Tickets on Sale Now! $37http://www.sydney.lizottes.com.au/live/plan1.asp?id=1&date=2011-12-8&f=&showid=9375&price=34.00&price1=34.00&Username=
- NOV25th – 27th 2011 Tamayo is proudly organising the first Flamenco Festival in Hobart by presenting a series of music and dance workshops throughout the weekend for both children and adults . The official launch will go rock the roof off The GrandPoohbah Hotel with Tamayo’s Sydney based company Flamenco del Mar and special guests. Tickets on sale now!!! Show from http://www.centertainment.com.au. Tickets $25 Sorry no concessions. Workshop registrations open now!http://www.flamencoaustralia.com/productions/hobart-festival-de-flamenco/
- July 22nd & 23rd 2011 Two recently sold out shows 22nd and 23rd of July at Lizottes Sydney . Tamayo has created a new production ‘The Sounds of Spain’ featuring :Guest Dancers (Celtic)Anthony Street from Lord of The Dance, Guitarists David Holberton, Felipe Kunze: Percussionist Adrian Van Nunen, Matt Cranswick: :Jessica Diaz : Blues Hispanic Band Bad Feeling Woman, Oscar Letelier and Benjamin Cuevas: Staging & Crew Dax Inc.
- Nov 9th The overwhelming success of the Flamenco Fusion show held at the iconic Music venue The Basement Sydney Nov 9th 2010 The Flamenco del Mar dancers.
- Tamayo currently has her dancers in collaboration with the ‘Bohemian Spanish cabaret ‘ Show at Postales GPO @ The Westin 5 star Hotel collaborating with contemporary choreographer Michael Boyd and Ame D alves to create a bohemian theatrical work. Both Alves and Boyd are leading contemporary choreographers in fashion, television, theatre, catwalk and current dancer/teachers at Sydney Dance Company
- Tamayo and Carmelo Pizzino from ‘Dancing with Stars’ 2010 and SYTYCD 2010 Latin Series at The Westin Hotel 2010 with Alana Patience with an exciting Con Pasionshow.
- Tamayo @El Toro Loco and Aperitif with David Holberton for celebrity and Spanish cuisine Chef Miguel Maestre and french masterchef Manu Feidel
- Performance for Lifestyle Channel EOFY 2010
- Performing on SBS for ‘The Squizz’ with Host Anh Do 2009
- Choreographers Ball Carnival 2009 Sydney Dancers & Choreographers from the Film and video industry andfrom ‘SYTYCD.
- Manly Food and Wine Festival 2009, 2010, 2011
- Flamenco del Mar and Tablao season at the Old Manly Boatshed 2008, & 2009
- The Manly at the sunset series in October 2008 & 2009.
Flamenco Australia Productions
Working with many talented singer/musicians in Australia including the outstanding talents of Robbie Varga, Antonio Vargas, Angel Mellado, Marc van Doornum, Aloysiuis Leeson, Adrian van Nunen, David Holberton, Felipe Kunze, William Henderson, Daniel Pliner, Stuart Henderson, Damian De Boos Smith, Peter Kennard, Mari Olivares, Marguerite Montes, Oscar Letelier, Benjamin Cuevas, Jessica Diaz and Rut Santamaria, Tamayo continues to promote local international talent at its best.
For consecutive years Tamayo produced a series of Flamenco workshops and classes for La Casa de Xoventude Galicia Spain Sponsored by the Xunta de Galicia for its youth program in 2005, 2007, 2008 & 2009.
Representing Local Professional Flamenco Artists
Based In Australia
(Links to selected choreographies and recent works all available for private viewing, email us for the link)
- INERTIA by Hernandez Tamayo https://youtu.be/F2N74hR0IOw
- GPO Postales Sydney 2010 – Old Cabaret Show.
- Latin Festival Darling Harbour – Quartet https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYDxxMnA_Lo
- Recital Trio Traditional with Rut Santamaria, Michael Arrighi y Marina Tamayo https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IPEm5BvDZGw
- The Sounds of Spain – Marina Tamayo https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpFl_D_DQ0Y
- Flamenco Fusion Live @ The Basement 2010 (see our DVD for sale in our online store)
HOME nightclub 2009, Sydney Darling Harbour So You Think You Can Dance choreographers gala night https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uV67g2TacTw
- Manly Food and Wine Festival 2010 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2cNDYc116jg
@ Miguel Mast’s El Toro Loco Restaurant, Manly Beach. NSW.
(an improvised show)
- Fiesta Band https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W98Y9pUikS8
- Selected past works pre 2012 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dUX0OUurIuw
- Flamenco Australia Flashmob Hobart https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZtzodH0aw_M
- Flamenco Australia Flash Mob Opera House https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vtEMK-EWRu0